Re: RE: Speed Touring

There is an interesting article in the Aug or Sept BiKE Mag issue addressing suspension adjustment and tuning. It uses, as one example, the Sprint ST; perhaps this is the article Eric is asking for permission to reproduce; if not, Eric, perhaps you could ask at the same time.  In the article the 'expert' suggests that the ST is designed with 140-180kg load in mind (incl. pillion and/or luggage) so the springs are supposedly much firmer than on the Speed Triple. As far as the forks go that is certainly not the case, but again the ride on the Sprint ST is designed to be much more supple and forgiving, which it is.   I agree with Paul, that 'quality' was the wrong word to use; the suspension is probably basically the same unit from Showa, just with a different set up; if we want to 'tune' the ST to give more feedback then that is our choice, but with stock set-up its the best sport-tourer by far, so why should Triumph change a winning formula.
One idea, possibly, although perhaps expensive would be to offer custom graded springs at build time, say 3 weights for riders of 70kg, 85kg and 100kg.  Does anyone know if another manufacturer does this at the factory?
cheers
Jonathan

>>> "Danilowicz, Paul S." <danilps@xxxxxxxx> 06/10/99 14:43:52 >>>
This isn't an isn't an issue of suspension "quality".  "Quality" addresses things like parts breaking, leaks, and the suspension not performing as it was designed to.  I believe your suspension is performing within the parameters it was design to.  (Admitedly, there are most likely several compromises baked into the final design.)   What you are expressing, rather, is an issue of your personal opinion of how you think the suspension should feel and perform.  That's OK.   Being in your comfort zone allows you to go faster, feel more secure, and be safer.
<snip>