Re: Louder horn,cheap and easy upgrade

> Any body know what the resistance of the horn is?  You will need to match
> this if you move to a relay for a new horn.  If the new horn has the same
> resistance or more don't worry about a relay as you will add life to the
> horn switch.  If the nerw horn has two time the resistance of the old hor
> you can run them in parrallel and not worry about the switch.

Geez  I go away for a day after posting, and all heck breaks loose...

> Benifits of being a double E

Likewise, but I was trying to keep it simple (hard for us enginerds
sometimes).

What you say is completely correct.

I opted not to check the impedence of the horn, but to base my
decision on empirical data.

0.  Current capacity of the horn switch is unknown.
1.  I believe one or two TDM riders smoked their horn switches.
2.  Switches and electricals for bikes are not cheap (whereas that relay was).
3.  Even if the impendence for both horn and "buzzer" were doc'd, I would
give them at least 20% variability.
4. It was a great one night project that permitted the "testing" of
the horns at 5 am....

> Erik Miner <axeis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
>
> > Also since the horn is not
> > used for long periods

Have you ever driven in the SF bay area????  Sometimes it is 3 or 4
second between start of horn, and reaction, if any, of other driver.

My main reason for tooting at them is it gives one perhaps .5 seconds
more safety zone, as long as you toot it early.  Though, there is that
small contigent of drivers, who DON'T like being beeped at -- "They
drive a volvo, and can do no wrong"

Always best to follow a beep with a wave, less the cage driver thinks
to take a run at you.  (It will happen)

> > I doubt there would be enough current draw to
> > cause any damage to the wiring.

My comment about the wiring is more the various contact points on the
light guage wire (horn switch, fusebox etc).  I was rather sloppy and
vague in the original post -- My apologies. This is a discerning
(tough) audience ;->

- -chuck (whose ST will be blue)