From: Mike Fleming [mailto:tauzero@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, October 07, 1999 5:51 PM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Louder horn,cheap and easy upgrade

"Retherford, Martin" <MRetherford@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:

> For practical purposes it doesn't matter how much inductance is present
> providing it doesn't have an inductance of 1 henry, and it doesn't.

Then why do ignition contact breakers have capacitors across them?

> It will
> generate the spark you are speaking of at the time the switch is set back
> the, "open position", horn off position.  If there is enough insulation on
> the switch contacts, as I am sure there is because they have to meet CE
> requirements, or if they short the other side of the horn to ground under
> horn off position, in either case all is fine.

The horn button is a simple on-off contact. As the spark arcs across
the gap, it causes oxidation and pitting at the surface. I can't see
what relevance insulation has to this as the arc is between the two
contacts which, er, contact each other, except that the insulation
would be more insulating than the air gap.

- --
Mike Fleming