Re: Helmet preference

Stuart Mumford wrote:

> What is the best helmet?

I have heard that Arai and Shoei make helmets for different shapes of
heads (pointy vs. round, respectively), and that most folks will take a
fairly quick liking (or disliking) to one or the other depending on the
shape of their own noggin. I must have a pointy head since I'm very
happy with my Arai Quantum/e. (No, not because I spend too many years in
grad school. :-) Also, Motorcycle Consumer News rated the Quantum/e as
one of their favorites about a year or so ago.

The best thing you can do is try a bunch on for at least 20 minutes
each. (It'll take up to 20 minutes for pressure points to show up.) The
helmet should be snug enough that your scalp moves with the helmet if
you try to twist the helmet around your head a bit. Also, in general,
the higher-up you go in a manufacturer's lineup the better the
ventilation, the quieter it is at speed, and the more little
creature-comfort features it'll have.

Realizing that it may be tough to find the one you want from a local
store, though, you may have to rely on a mail-order shop with an easy
return policy.

- --
Blake Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Higher Education Consulting