VFR vs. Sprint (was Re: MEZ4s)

>Anyway, I have ridden a newer VFR, not impressed, IMHO Sprint is
>much better, but then again, no real twisties on either.

I test rode a 99 VFR on Calaveras Road which is a bumpy, twisty piece of
pavement in the hills. What I didn't like most about the VFR was the fuel
injection. It reacted to every little adjustment of the throttle in a
non-proportional way. Going over a little bump, if your wrist moved the
throttle just a bit, the bike would stumble, making the bump feel that much
worse. Still I thought that it was a great bike and one that I was likely
to purchase.

A few hours later I made my way to the Triumph dealer and tried the Sprint.
While the VFR has a fair amount of torque, the Triumph has way more, and I
am a torque kind of guy when it comes to riding style. Plus the throttle
was so smooth, my mind was instantly made up for me.

Either bike is so capable that on the street it is going to be rider, not
machine that makes the difference. One of my few complaints about the
Triumph is that it is so capable compared to past bikes that I've owned
(quite a list) that I find I have to go to extremely illegal speeds to get
anywhere close to the limit of the bike. Even on the track, I found that I
was still the limiting factor, and that was on the stock tires. I'm just
not used to going 100mph with the bike leaned over.

Matt Knowles - mattknowles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.earthlink.net/~mattknowles
Aesthetic Design & Photography - (408) 977-1804
http://www.aestheticdesign.com

End of st-digest V1999 #269