RE: MEZ4s

Thomas

Over the course of the summer, I have traded rides with a few friends and so
have compared the ST in side-by-side riding with the following sportbikes:
Ducati 996, Honda VTR Superhawk, and Kawi ZX-11.  I've also ridden a Honda
Valkyrie, a Yam FJ1200 and a Honda CBR1000, but I'm sure you would probably
not describe these last few as sportbikes.  BTW, you all have got to ride a
Valky some day, the roll-ons are sure to induce wide-eyed giggling.  What a
motor!  ;-)

The riding position for the ST is a bit more upright than most sportbikes,
hence the "tourer" part of the ST designation, but I don't see this limiting
my ability to ride aggressively (as my peg-scratching post would
illustrate).  I have plenty of weight over the front end and find steering
to be light and neutral.  I often steer with just my feet and knees.  This
is truly a forgiving mount (although some might find the suspension a bit
soft).

But to be honest, the ST doesn't have quite the same pop that a full-on
sportbike will deliver.  Just look at a comparo of HP and torque numbers for
an illustration of that.  If you're the kind of guy who really likes to wail
on the throttle, you might find the ST to be a bit mild.  Yes, throttle
response is crisp and responsive, but it does not "rip" like a top of the
line sportbike.

Having said that, this bike is perfectly designed to be a sport-tourer (with
a bit more emphasis on the sport than the tourer, if you ask me).  So if you
want a bike that has great (but not awesome) power, superb handling, and
well-considered ergos, the ST is an excellent option.

Bruce McCurdy
'99 ST Black "Beauty"
www.1StopTools.com
SF Bay Area