Re: New member

All piston engines consume oil, otherwise the cylinder walls will not be lubricated.  This very fine oil film on the cylinder walls will burn off, causing a lower oil level with time.  The marks are given as a tolerance.  Your oil level will be lower at the end of the 6,000 mile change intervel, so rather than having a single line, which will freak out ST owners, causing us to top off our engine oil with an eye dropper or to fit a Scottoiler to the engine oil sump, which is totally not necessary.  So it would make sense to have the oil level near the high mark when the oil is changed, and not worry about it unless it hits the low mark before the 6,000 mile interval.  I would say that all of this is not extremely critical, as  the oil level is to be observed when the bike is level (not on the centerstand) and upright.  Suspension settings, tire pressure, slightly unlevel ground, oil temperature, whether the engine was just stopped or let sit for hours, etc. will all have an effect on the observed level.

>>> <RDZTXI@xxxxxxx> 10/22 9:24 AM >>>
.... And what is the
correct oil level in the sight glass?  My dealer says at the top with just a
little air bubble, the manual say midway between the lines...who should I
believe?