False Neutrals & 955i shifter

There was some talk a few weeks back about trying the new one piece
shifter from the Y2K Daytona on to the ST to reduce the play in the gear
change.

Has anyone got round to trying it, or measuring up more accurately ?

I checked out an ST and Daytona side by side. The shifter looked like it
would fit fine. Removing the existing linkage would seem to leave a bit
of a mess at the bottom of the hanger bracket. So it looks like you'd
need to switch to the new hanger as well.

Then you've got different looking hangers on the left and right sides,
which would look at bit odd. Changing the right side (footbrake)
assembly seems pretty messy.

So I guess it's a no go ?

While I'm on the subject of gear shifts - does anyone else get fairly
frequent false neutrals between 5th and 6th ? Shifts on my Y2K blue ST
seem fine between other gears but between 5th and 6th seems to hit a gap
fairly often.

Pardon my ignorance but what causes false neutrals - is some kind of
internal tolerance that can be adjusted ?

Antony