Re: False Neutrals & 955i shifter

Interesting to see the responces on this. And from what I have
seen, and of course most of my experiences have been with Kawi
gearboxes, the false neutral problem can occur on any bike, if you
do not move the shifter far enough.

One thing that I have not seen is a small descrption of how a
sequential gear box works. Now I have never seen a Triumph gearbox
appart, so this could be mis-information, but I am going to place
an educated guess that this is how it works.

Basically in the transmittion there is a drum, ie. shift drum that
has 3 or 4 groves in it. In each grove a rod runs it it with is
either the end of a shift fork or attached somehow to a shift fork.
A shift fork is what pushes a gear into contact with a fixed gear.
So as you shift up or down the drum rotates and of course moves
the appropriate shift forks to go from one gear ratio to the next
(or previous as the case may be) So all that you are proably seeing
is the spacing in that portion of the shift drum may be a tad bit
larger than the others, OR there is a bit more to the linkage for
6th that the other gears.  But there is a false neutral between
all gears, it is just that there is a baby indent between 1st and
2nd, which is the formal neutral.

For those people who intend on abusing there steed, I would suggest
getting the gears undercut, (assuming that they are not from the
factory). When the gears are undercut the will pull together when
power is applied. Which will basically save wear and tear on the
shift drum and forks as there may not be as much force on them.

Thomas

Thomas Emberson  <Thomas@xxxxxxx>

5025 Arapaho Road, Suite 406, Dallas, 75248
(972) 851-6945