Re: It's sad and its long.

"Jonathan Schulster" <Schulster@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:

> As I understand it, one swap to paint a fairing in a non-standard colour run
> takes up a lot of time and effort, which is not justified or covered by the
> cost they pass on to you. If they lose the production of 3-4 other bikes as a
> result of changing your one colour they would have to charge you about £30k
> for the priviledge.  Have I got this all wrong and they can just grab a
> Daytona fairing set and run it through the Sprint RS paint shop?  I know you
> have visited the factory on several occassions so perhaps you can answer this?

Well, they could and they couldn't. The assembly line relies on all
the parts for the bike arriving at the right time, and one assembly
line makes all, so it should be possible to paint one set of bodywork
up and inject it into the process, but it might not be terribly easy -
they may do a batch of tanks, then a batch of seat units, and so on.

There may be another factor - I'm not sure about the 955 Daytonas, or
the Sprint, but with the earlier ones, the fairing needs plasticisers
in the paint which aren't used on the other panels, to accomodate the
flexing that happens. If (big if) this is the case, then the painting
would truly be a one-off, instead of just pointing the orange paint at
a few different panels to normal.

- --
Mike Fleming