From: David Arnett [mailto:DArnett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 1999 11:43 AM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Belly Scrape

I am curious for those who have scraped their lower fairings in turns.
Are you scraping both sides of the fairing, or does it only occure on
one side?  Do the "hero" tabs touch down first, or does the fairing?  I
have managed to touch the left side "hero" tab twice, yet the right is
still a virgin.  This is most probably due to the higher off-camber
found in left handers, as opposed to predominately "banked" right
handers (in the US).  There are no scrapes on the fairing!  I am on
factory suspension settings without baggage and riding one-up when I
scraped the left tab.  Putting the fairing on the ground kind of scares
me as this "third leg" will not fold up like the peg will and could act
as a pivot point, teetering one tire off of the ground!  Although,
rolling off the throttle causes a loss of ground clearance, which is
hard to avoid doing when the crap is being scared out of me the instant
that the tab hits the tarmac!  Maybe I should just take the lower
fairings off perm!
anantly and just forget about them.  Then I don't have to worry about
them melting or teetering me off to the hospital!

*

End of st-digest V1999 #201