RE: Belly scrape

At 12:24 PM 09/02/1999 -0700, Retherford, Martin wrote:
 >Thing to note on my new belly panels.  The dealer used two forms of heat
 >shielding.  The foil and a sponge like foam on top.

The foam stands up to the heat of the exhaust?

 >I am still looking for the weave type cloth that I have seen for heat
 >shielding

I have some although it isn't cheap - was around $60 for 50 feet. I still
have about 30 feet left.

 > I honestly think the best way to deal with this deformation is
 >to simply ensure the heat doesn't make it to the panel through the use of a
 >semi-permanent/permanent coating that ensures the transmission of heat
 >elsewhere in the exhaust system.

I wrapped mine, but with what I had read on oil retention and damage to
welds, I removed it. Plus, like a moron I put it on right before the Rallye
- - and I'm not sure if you have ever seen the stuff when it is new, but it
"smokes" significantly when new. I made a couple of short runs (10 - 15
minutes) and when I stopped, you would have sworn the bike was on
fire...... plus the amount of radiated heat seemed pretty significant. I
may just take the header and send it  for a Jet coat treatment.

 >There might be another possibility and that is to increase air flow in some
 >positive manner i.e. a fan continually blowing air through the fairing even
 >at zero speed.  Some cutouts could be placed on the flat spot behind the
 >front wheel with a heavy screen and a fan running full time.

That would be too much for me. There has to be an easier way......

- - Eric