Re: RE: Belly scrape

I think that the thin heat shield is more of a heat dissapator by giving the radiant heat a conductive path in which it can be spread out to dissapate on more surface area of the fairing, as opposed to concentrating in one area.  Based on this assumption, the larger the surface area, the better (when replacing).  I do agree with the "steam" theory, because mine "bubbled" out right in the critical spot, and the sharp welds made a hole in the film either through vibrations or direct heat conduction.  Anyways, I think the flim type is the way to go.  The more surface area, the better, and perforate (make many pin holes) the material to let steam escape in case of water absorbtion.  Airflow will still occur with the thin film.  I also invite any of the listers to start hacking on their bellies to experiment with improving the airflow across this critical area.  Ha Ha!  well maybe on bellies that are already burnt, unless Triumph collects them all when warranteed!