Re: Just joined

Boy talk about coinciding demographics. I had a BMW R1100RS--liked it over
the RSL because I could see the engine--and had created the same short list
as you. I bought the Sprint.

1. BMW R1100S. Same old BMW foibles...too heavy, slow revving, brakes okay
but not great. Feeling of just a bit too much mass for the horsepower.
Pricey, and in my opinion, ugly. Distant fourth.

2. Ducati ST2 (I didn't consider the ST4 because it's nearly $15k without
bags!). Not terribly fast and a bit too subdued in appearance. Dodgy
electrics and potentially high maintenance costs. Still, an entertaining
engine..a close third choice.

3. Honda VFR800. Very nice bike overall, exceptionally well polished with a
charismatic engine--if significantly less torquey than the Sprint's. Nearly
went this path but for one "feature." The execrable linked brakes. I'd
probably get used to them, but I naturally (perhaps irrationally) move away
from technologies intended to protect me from myself. (Perhaps for the same
reason, I don't really miss the BMW's antilock brakes.)

Finally bought the Sprint ST because it's the best of all worlds--a
interesting motorcycle that is also a good performer. Excellent riding
position, good suspension (that will only get better if I have anything to
do with it) and commendable build quality. Even my wife, who is used to the
BMW's broad, flat passenger saddle, likes the Triumph just as well.

I bought the Triumph and haven't had a second's buyer's remorse.

End of st-digest V1999 #206