Re: Maintainence shops

- --------------E710CE18DCBF682DB1DE8C67

Justen,
You will have to consider the purchase of a ST very carefully.  While I
love my ST and it has to be the best sport tourer I've ridden, I would
have had a hard time purchasing it if my dealer wasn't so close (about 1
mile away) to my house.  They aren't like a Japanese bike when it comes
to servicing and maintenance.  While most Japanese bikes come out of the
box almost perfect most all ST's need something repaired before they
even leave the dealership for the first time.  It appears that
maintenance intervals are crucial to the longevity of the bike compared
to most Japanese bikes that can be abused and just keep going.
I don't consider the cost of shop labor to be any different than any
other bike, but parts are higher priced and sometimes need to be
backordered for months at a time.  I'm still waiting for a new front
tire for my ST as the original was blemished by the packing crate back
when the bike was new in May.
If you are a good home mechanic, the ST is no more complex than any
other new bike and in some ways it is actually a bit crude.  I have had
no difficulty working on mine and actually enjoy it, but I am used to
British construction.  Remember, the ST is still very much a hand built
bike and not as mass produced as Japanese brands.  This is what gives
the bike character and also is the reason you will read about all the
different problems people have with their STs.
I hope I have not totally dissuaded you from the purchase of a new ST,
but if what you wrote about maintenance and servicing is true this may
not be the bike you want.

Hope this helps,
Dan

Justen Fauth wrote:

>   I am thinking about getting a Truimph Sprint ST and am wondering how
> easy it is to get them serviced.  My first question is, how often do
> they need serviced, and how expensive does it run.  I prefer low
> maintainence bikes. I live in Seattle Whashington and am worried that
> I will not be able to find shops close to home.  Do Honda shops work
> on Triumphs?  I have not seen many Triumph dealerships.  Maybe I'm not
> looking in the right places. Thanks, any comments would be
> fantastic!! Justen

- --------------E710CE18DCBF682DB1DE8C67

<HTML>
<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">
Justen,
<BR>You will have to consider the purchase of a ST very carefully.&nbsp;
While I love my ST and it has to be the best sport tourer I've ridden,
I would have had a hard time purchasing it if my dealer wasn't so close
(about 1 mile away) to my house.&nbsp; They aren't like a Japanese bike
when it comes to servicing and maintenance.&nbsp; While most Japanese bikes
come out of the box almost perfect most all ST's need something repaired
before they even leave the dealership for the first time.&nbsp; It appears
that maintenance intervals are crucial to the longevity of the bike compared
to most Japanese bikes that can be abused and just keep going.
<BR>I don't consider the cost of shop labor to be any different than any
other bike, but parts are higher priced and sometimes need to be backordered
for months at a time.&nbsp; I'm still waiting for a new front tire for
my ST as the original was blemished by the packing crate back when the
bike was new in May.
<BR>If you are a good home mechanic, the ST is no more complex than any
other new bike and in some ways it is actually a bit crude.&nbsp; I have
had no difficulty working on mine and actually enjoy it, but I am used
to British construction.&nbsp; Remember, the ST is still very much a hand
built bike and not as mass produced as Japanese brands.&nbsp; This is what
gives the bike character and also is the reason you will read about all
the different problems people have with their STs.
<BR>I hope I have not totally dissuaded you from the purchase of a new
ST, but if what you wrote about maintenance and servicing is true this
may not be the bike you want.

<P>Hope this helps,
<BR>Dan

<P>Justen Fauth wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>&nbsp;<STYLE></STYLE>
<FONT SIZE=-1>I am thinking
about getting a Truimph Sprint ST and am wondering how easy it is to get
them serviced.&nbsp; My first question is, how often do they need serviced,
and how expensive does it run.&nbsp; I prefer low maintainence bikes.</FONT>&nbsp;<FONT SIZE=-1>I
live in Seattle Whashington and am worried that I will not be able to find
shops close to home.&nbsp; Do Honda shops work on Triumphs?&nbsp; I have
not seen many Triumph dealerships.&nbsp; Maybe I'm not looking in the right
places.</FONT>&nbsp;<FONT SIZE=-1>Thanks, any comments would be fantastic!!</FONT>&nbsp;<FONT SIZE=-1>Justen</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;
</BODY>
</HTML>

- --------------E710CE18DCBF682DB1DE8C67--