Re:carrying oil

At 04:16 PM 09/07/1999 -0400, Larry Rau wrote:
 >Why do you carry any oil? Do your bikes have any noticable consumption over
 >several thousand miles? Oil usage should be predictable.

Yes it is - and my prediction was that I would possibly need a little oil
on the way.

 >Any serious loss of
 >oil will almost certainly result in an unrideable bike.

Correct you are, but I don't carry my oil (nor my tools) for the serious
problems. I carry them for the annoyances of life that can cause you to
waste a couple of hours running around looking for supplies.

 >but just about every town has a Honda dealer. Any

Yes, with a lot of them closed on Sunday and Monday and between the hours
of 5 PM and 9 AM ...... when I happen to do a lot of riding.

 >Use that limited packing space for fun stuff.

None of my fun stuff would fit in the empty spot .......

I'm not saying that you need to carry oil when off for an afternoon ride -
I don't myself. But when I am going to be doing a lot of miles, it is just
an addition to my tool kit that gives me a little extra piece of mind.
While I have only had to use oil twice while carrying it, both times would
have killed a lot of time off my ride, versus just popping out the bottle
and pouring it in. Not to mention if you are riding in a group and you hold
them up to go find some oil .......

Plus with the 3 panniers, I could pack the kitchen sink if I really wanted
to and not feel cramped ........

- - Eric