Re: Centerstand Dynamics 101

irony1 wrote:

> Incredibly easy !  I think not.  I 'm always afraid that it will
> topple to the other side.  As a result I rarely use the center stand

The trick with center stands is that you don't roll back onto it and leave
you side stand down.  You stand facing the side of the bike, place your left
hand on the bar and straighten them. Put your right foot on the center stand
lever and stand on it.  With right hand reach under the side and grab the
grab rail. Then lean the bike away from you until the other side of the
center stand touches down. Then pull straight up. Don't try to rock it
backwards. Just pull up and let your weight and legs do the work.

Too many people try to hang onto the bars and try to pull the bike backwards
toward them to get it on the stand. This is a recipe for disaster. When your
standing on the center stand lever and have both pads touching down it is
very stable. It helps if you have a flat area to leave the bike, otherwise
place the tail down hill.

Sadly I am without a center stand for now. The dealer has several on order,
so just waiting for delivery. On my old bike I would not leave it on anything
but the center stand. The side stand was rather tall and stood the bike up.
Parked along the highway a mac truck managed to topple it onto my helmet. By
the time it was traded for the ST the center stand had completely worn out
and had to be removed from the bike. (brackets fractured)

So if you have a center stand I say use it.  The side stand on the ST is very
nice but till the center stand comes .....Sleepless in Massachusetts.

- --
                                                    _
Neil Halbert                  _/_/_/ _/   _/  _/_/ '_) EMC Corporation
email: halbert@xxxxxxx       _/--/  _/ -'_/ _/     /__ 171 South Street
voice: (508) 435-1000 x1232 _/_/_/ _/   _/  _/_/       Hopkinton, MA 01748