Re: Aftermarket Pipe update

Dennis Tackett wrote:
 >Good point but I think any after market modification technically could void
 >the warrantee, such as adding a non-Triumph performance pipe even without
 >changing the ignition mapping.
 >
 >Eric,
 >If you're following this thread what's your take?

Following way behind I'm afraid. My take is that "it depends". I think they
would be hard pressed to fight a warranty issue here in the states as long
as it could be shown that the supplemental tune in no way impeded or
eliminated systems that cause the engine to operate in a safe manner within
operational specifications set forth by the factory. These would be things
like RPM limit, sensors and predetermined ECM fault levels. Changing CO or
fuel flow etc would be a pretty weak case for warranty invalidation.
Imagine a vendor of a bike with carbs trying to invalidate an engine
warranty claim due to changing a needle size from stock....

However, if the programming device should happen to damage the ECM in any
way, I would say all bets are off......

If yours is a test bike, be sure that the aftermarket vendor is willing to
cover repairs in case of failure. Then once you act as the Guinea Pig,
we'll all run out and buy one ;-)

- - Eric