Re: st-digest V1999 #218

Sorry I missed you all at the Rallye, but I was unavoidably detained.  In a
nutshell, tibia and fibia broken in 5 places and replaced by a stainless
steel rod and four screws; clavicle broken and reset; lung partially
collasped but better now.  Spent two weeks in the hospital in Hot Springs and
am now recovering at my mom's in WI until I can get around on my own to go
back home to Houston.
Bsically, the crash was a lowside; too fast, tight turn, semi-wet road,
BT57s, fully loaded bike, all combined with negative consequences.  Would
have turned out better if not for the guardrail- then again it may have been
worse too.
In any case, the bike is at RPM Cycle in Dallas.  I haven't seen it, so if
anyone in Dallas wants to give me a perspective, I'd be grateful.  I should
know if its a total or repairable on Tuesday.  I do know all the plastic is
gone and the forks and front wheel are bent.  If it can be fixed, great,
thats the cheapest, I wouldn't have to re-buy or try to swap accessories, and
I like the bike- I'd have it done in blue though.  I just want to make sure
the bike is fixed PERFECT; no frame snaffus or extra scratches or scuffs
anywhere.  If you guys in Dallas would help stress that to RPM I'd also be
grateful.  I'd hate to get it back and not it it 100% perfect.
If it's a total I'll be looking for a 2000 Sprint ST or maybe a Duc ST4 just
to try something different. Anyone have any first hand comparo info?  I'd
probably stick with the Triumph, but just curious.
Special thanks to Richard and Lisa White for all their help and support
through this whole ordeal!  You know, you actually do meet the nicest people
on Triumphs.

Rick Paukert
The Woodlands, TX
Hudson, WI (until I can walk)