Re: Centerstand Dynamics 101

That makes sense to me; I have passed quite a number of bikes lying on their sides in the middle of summer on motorway/freeways in Germany, Italy, France and Switzerland - as soon as the centrestand is on anything other than perfectly flat, very hard tarmac the risk of it sinking in over time is not small :(    At least on the ST, as long as you park it 'uphill' or use 1st gear for 'down pointing' the sidestand is great.  After all it makes a triangle about 1.45m on each side, and most of the weight is still on the two large rubber thingies.  A small 'plastic foot' for the sidestand and you can park it on mud with no worries.  A centrestand is very useful for oiling the chain, but other than that I would not miss it much.
Jonathan.

>>> "Leatherbiker" <leatherbiker@xxxxxxxxxxx> 09/09/99 23:17:58 >>>
Neil.

I'm kind of surprised at your theory.
Accepted wisdom in the biking world is that the sidestand is
much more stable, especially on ferries (I could write a whole
book on that topic!), hills, unstable ground etc., as the bike
is already leaning at maximum tilt in one direction and cannot
go any further in that dimension. To topple the bike, you would
then have to raise it to the vertical and push it over in the
opposite direction, which takes considerably more doing.
I hardly ever use my centre stand, except for filling the fuel
tank, these days.

Tim