From: Jonathan Schulster <Schulster@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, September 13, 1999 1:41 PM
Subject: Re: Centerstand Dynamics 101

> That makes sense to me; I have passed quite a number of bikes
lying on their sides in the middle of summer on
motorway/freeways in Germany, Italy, France and Switzerland - as
soon as the centrestand is on anything other than perfectly
flat, very hard tarmac the risk of it sinking in over time is
not small :(    At least on the ST, as long as you park it
'uphill' or use 1st gear for 'down pointing' the sidestand is
great.  After all it makes a triangle about 1.45m on each side,
and most of the weight is still on the two large rubber
thingies.  A small 'plastic foot' for the sidestand and you can
park it on mud with no worries.  A centrestand is very useful
for oiling the chain, but other than that I would not miss it
much.
> Jonathan.

23:17:58 >>>
> Neil.
>
> I'm kind of surprised at your theory.
> Accepted wisdom in the biking world is that the sidestand is
> much more stable, especially on ferries (I could write a whole
> book on that topic!), hills, unstable ground etc., as the bike
> is already leaning at maximum tilt in one direction and cannot
> go any further in that dimension. To topple the bike, you
would