KEY issues

- ------=_NextPart_000_004B_01BEFF01.B91BA740

ActionStations - SCOTTOILERHi everyone,

this is on-list, not off, but has never been mentioned, as far as I =
know.
Today, when I parked my bike in town, I pulled out the key, and since it =
wouldn't come out cleanly, I had to give it a very gentle tug.
Guess what?
The key snapped off clean in the lock!
As a result, 3/4 of the metal key blade is lodged in the ignition and =
the other 1/4 is attached to the black plastic handle. I called the RAC =
out, but he couldn't remove it. Fortunately, he turned the key far =
enough around so I could start the bike and ride it home. Tomorrow I =
have to go to a locksmith's about 5 miles away and see if he can =
surgically extract it. But folks - don't try this at home - you need a =
whole set of surgical instruments, believe me, as the key sits as tight =
in the lock as a nun on her wedding night, and I reckon it will take all =
the cunning and instrumentation of a professional to get it out again. I =
have a spare, of course, but I can't use that for the time being. The =
alternative does not bear thinking about - it involves removing the =
whole key barrel and replacing the entire unit.
so my question is, has anyone else had this experience?
I've only had my Sprint for 6 months, so the key isn't worn. Also, I =
never use it for kinky purposes like opening bottles of beer, cleaning =
my nails and so on, so how could this happen? It was just so pliable - I =
thought I had psychic powers for an instant there!

Tim

- ------=_NextPart_000_004B_01BEFF01.B91BA740

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>ActionStations - SCOTTOILER</TITLE>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY background=3Dimages/bg.jpg bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008080 size=3D3><STRONG>Hi =
everyone,</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008080><STRONG>this is on-list, not off, but has =
never been=20
mentioned, as far as I know.</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008080><STRONG>Today, when I parked my bike in town, =
I pulled=20
out the key, and since it wouldn't come out cleanly, I had to give it a =
very=20
gentle tug.</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008080><STRONG>Guess what?<BR>The key snapped off =
clean in the=20
lock!</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008080><STRONG>As a result, 3/4 of the metal key =
blade is=20
lodged in the ignition and the other 1/4 is attached to the black =
plastic=20
handle. I called the RAC out, but he couldn't remove it. Fortunately, he =
turned=20
the key far enough around so I could start the bike and ride it home. =
Tomorrow I=20
have to go to a locksmith's about 5 miles away and see if he can =
surgically=20
extract it. But folks - don't try this at home - you need a whole set of =

surgical instruments, believe me, as the key sits as tight in the lock =
as a nun=20
on her wedding night, and I reckon it will take all the cunning and=20
instrumentation of a professional to get it out again. I have a spare, =
of=20
course, but I can't use that for the time being. The alternative does =
not bear=20
thinking about - it involves removing the whole key barrel and replacing =
the=20
entire unit.</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008080><STRONG>so my question is, has anyone else =
had this=20
experience?<BR>I've only had my Sprint for 6 months, so the key isn't =
worn.=20
Also, I never use it for kinky purposes like opening bottles of beer, =
cleaning=20
my nails and so on, so how could this happen? It was just so pliable - I =
thought=20
I had psychic powers for an instant there!</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008080><STRONG>Tim</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_004B_01BEFF01.B91BA740--