heat

I wrote to Mr Smart, director of customer services at the Works, complaining
bitterly about the intense heat coming from behind the fairing, threatening
to stuff styrofoam between the trailing edge of the fairing and the engine,
and he replied as follows:

8th Septeber 1999

Dear Mr. Collins

Thank-you for your letter dated 25th August 1999, concerning the
uncomfortable heat problem that you report on your Sprint ST.

We would advise against restricting the airflow around the Sprint ST fairing
since this is likely to affect the correct running of the engine. Airflow is
a critical area of the design and we would therefore strongly suggest that
your proposed modification is put on hold. Serious engine damage could occur
if the motor becomes overheated and we of course would not like to hear that
your machine was off the road due to mechanical problems.

We are of course pleased to see that you are considering trading to the half
faired "RS", details of which have now been released to the press and by way
of information I enclose a recent copy of our Torque magazine which includes
further details.  Thank you again for remaining loyal to Triumph despite your
concerns, we hope that you will stay with Triumph for many miles to come.

Yours sincerely

(signed)

Charles Smart
Customer Services

CC Shell Barr-Triumph USA

I can't help but be impressed with how responsive the people at the head
office are!

The Autumn 1999 issue of Torque had some interesting information about the
RS: a picture from the front shows a nice-looking bikini-faired bike, with
the turn signals on stalks, and two holes that look as if they could be for
ram air, althogh this is not mentioned in the description. 43mm  inverted
Showa telescopic forks are mentioned, althogh in the picture, they look
right-side-up to me. The swinging arm is said to be of a new double-sided
design for exceptional handling and stability.
Later in the magazine, the accessory list is given:

Top Rack
Top Box-Colour co-ordinated (looks huge in photo)
Throw-over Panniers (ie hard panniers, such a nice feature of the ST, will
not be available)
Tank Bag
Grab Rail Kit
Heated Grips
Center Stand (?not stock)
Rear Hugger
Alarm
Belly Pan (Looks nice, but I like to see the 4 into 2 into 1 exhaust system)
Silencer-Carbon Fibre Wrap
Carbon Fibre Tank Pad
Master Cylinder Cover (for rear brake master cylinder)
Auxilliary Power Socket (?not stock)
Front Mudguard extension
Rear Mudguard Extension
Chain and Sprocket Kit (what would this be? Different gearing?)

Best of all, the area under the rider's thighs is faring-free, which should
allow lots of ambient-temperature air to circiulate! Dave Collins, San Diego