Broken chords in the key of ST minor

Just by way of consolation to anyone who might suffer the same
experience as my recent key, which snapped off in the ignition
lock.
The locksmith managed to extract it (though you have to return
the key barrel to the original position in which it is normally
locked and in which you normally insert the key before turning
it to the "on" position) with the aid of a few different
instruments. Took about 10 seconds flat. And he charged £10.
Good rate of pay, I'd say. The alternative was to have a
call-out, min. cost £60, or take it back to Jack Lilley's, who
currently have 2 weeks' waiting list and no parts in stock for
major transplant surgery like ignitions. So I got off lightly.
Having said that, the battery was completely dead yesterday and
I had to cable-start the bike to get to the locksmiths.
It seems to be that water gets into the ignition system
somewhere pretty easily - this is obviously what happened to me
on the other trip I reported - when it was flat after standing
outside all night. Mind you, I don't have a garage, so it stands
outside all night here too! I think the only answer might be
some kind of  a plug, a plastic cover to go over the ignition
and keep rain out.
Any suggestions?
BTW, the locksmith was also able to cut me a spare, which I
thought I might have to send off to Triumph for, but no!

Tim