RE: Potential Triumph Owner

- ------_=_NextPart_001_01BF03AB.6E2AC190

A word of caution, DO NOT demo ride the ST until you are prepared to buy it.
The wait will seem interminable.

I found myself in similar straights earlier this year. Having ridden a
friend's R1100RS, this was now the bike that I wanted, able to tour, and do
the twisties. ALL previous inclinations towards a HD were immediately
snuffed upon that ride.

So I spent the next few months dreaming of the Beemer. I had to go out of
town for a trip, that ultimately got extended to 6.5 weeks. I whiled away
the hours when not in the office by reading every motorcycle magazine I
could lay my hands on, looking especially for writeups on the R1100RS. When
they started doing all the comparo's, I read about the Triumph Sprint ST,
supposedly the best bike ever made by Triumph, and became highly interested.

I went and visited a local BMW/Triumph dealer, reasoning that by selling
both, there would be no particular axe to grind. To make a long story short,
I asked about 10 questions trying to separate the Beemer from the Trumpet,
and I believe 7 or 8 of them came out in the Triumph's favor. They had to do
with things like riding position, pillion comfort, seat comfort, performance
(hp, acceleration, torque), braking, handling, cost, maintenance, warranty,
weight. I can't remember them all, quite frankly. I think the BMW had more
torque, but it doesn't accelerate as well, and perhaps a longer warranty?
(not sure about that one) but I think it is 36/36,000 months/miles for the
BMW, and 24/unlimited for the Triumph. Also, the BMW requires a much
smoother application of throttle. The engine braking is phenomenal, and
coupled with the drive line, really makes on-off throttle transitions highly
noticeable, (read "smashing helmets with a pillion"). And little things,
like a choke (non-existent on the ST, it just burbles to life after about
three revolutions of the engine, required on the BMW), shifting ease ("Vee
vill shift NOW, CLUNK" as my friend with the R1100RS says, and he loves his
bike too). He likens it to a tractor. Speaking of which, when I first heard
the ST idle, I thought it was broken. Talk about a tractor, rattles and
sounds like it was polishing rocks. (But I have come to absolutely LOVE the
sound of an idling Triumph Triple, funny how that works.) You can adjust the
seat height and the handle bars on the BMW, not so the ST. But you also
adjust your body to whatever you ride. My friend played with his adjustments
for weeks before he found what he liked. On the ST, I just like what I found
(though I must admit I did add the Gen-Mar risers. The sales lady owned an
R1100S, which she dearly loves, but for me, the Triumph looked like a better
fit.

She convinced me that talking about them, looking at them, etc wouldn't
really be as ultimately informative as riding them. They had a used '96
R1100RS (I'd call it RS, but that has another meaning these days, at least
on these pages), that was priced the same as a new Sprint ST. And they had
an ST demo bike. So  went back to ride them both.

I made a mistake. When asked which one I wanted to ride first, I thought for
a second and said the ST. Huge mistake. As I pulled away from the
dealership, shifting into second gear, I said aloud, to myself "I have GOT
to get me one of these!". This is the line from Independence Day that Will
Smith speaks as he pilots one of the alien fighters back up to the
mothership (AWESOME POWER). From there, the 40 some odd miles of riding,
through extreme twisties to freeway, simply confirmed that thought.

When I got back to the dealer, I didn't even want to ride the BMW. I plonked
down a $500 deposit (refundable) and was told it would take a month or so.
This was fine with me, as I had not even broached the subject with my wife.
The wait seemed to go on forever, but I eventually wound up buying that
bike, the demo, as they could find, but couldn't get a Red one. (No other
dealer was willing to part with the one(s) they had). She offered a black,
but the Red one really did it for me.

I couldn't be happier with my selection. The Blue is very nice, but so is
the Black, they are just not RED. Aside from color choice, I believe you
will exceptionally pleased with a Sprint. Your wish list looks awfully close
to mine at the time. I've had a couple of problems with the bike, a coolant
leak, a fuel leak, but these are sorted or in the process. Even for that, I
absolutely love this thing. It was gone for 17 days awaiting that fuel
elbow, and riding my old Honda (sold the day I picked up Flash again) was
really painful. I never thought of the old Honda as a gem, but after the
Sprint, it handled like a total piece of S**T. Not its fault, just old
technology with different aspirations in life. To have a bike that STOPS,
TURNS, and GOES like the Sprint, without the pain and suffering inflicted by
pure sportsbikes on rides of any real length, well I think I just prescribed
the perfect all-rounder.

My budget won't allow a stable of bikes, so I have, IMHO, THE singular bike
to own.
Hope this helps, but heed the first line of this message!