Re: CA vs 49-state bikes

At 07:28 PM 09/21/1999 -0700, Andrew P. Holupka wrote:
 >So, what are the differences between the CA and 49-state bikes? I am
 >planning to move to CA soon but am thinking about getting a 49-state bike
 >before the move. I prefer not to have the CA emissions stuff; does it
 >really matter? From what I understand, I will have to pay a CA penalty fee,
 >but that's alright if I get a better performing/less troublesome bike.

The CA models have the emission control system (consisting of 5 new lines,
a pressure control valve, a one way valve, a purge control valve, and a
carbon canister) and has a 3 catalyst pieces in the collector of the
exhaust system.

There is no doubt in my mind that these systems will effect the performance
of the bike - the only question is how much.

On the T5s the CA spec bikes always dyno'd lower that the normal 49-state
model. I know that a few people on the T5 list have had their emission
systems (including the catalysts) "fall off" their bikes and have said that
they picked up a few hp.

 >PPS - A personal (and public) thank you to Eric for providing this list and
 >welcoming me to this list when I joined.

No problem - glad that you find it a useful source of information.

- - Eric