Re: Heat Shield

At 05:45 PM 09/22/1999 -0700, Paul Master wrote:
 >I forgot to mention that when I dropped Flash off for the fuel leak, I also
 >mentioned the aluminum foil had melted in places. The dealer said they
 >talked to TOA about it, and that Triumph had not heard of this. I said that
 >was very strange, as it has been quite a source of discussion on the list.

I find it strange as well as I know people on the list have had fairings
replaced, yet in talking to Shaun Sisterson at ToA I was told that they
weren't aware of any problem........

 >And that there were two theories, one that once holes appeared in the foil,
 >the heat was not reflected and melted the belly pan; the other that when
 >wet, the water turns to steam and melts the plastic. I actually started
 >looking for a solution myself, and think I may have found one. BUT, when I
 >picked up the bike, they had installed a very thin quilted aluminum shield
 >in place of the aluminum foil covered soft foam. So they had a solution for
 >a problem they didn't know about, pretty good engineering feat :-) (Now
 >Martin, don't go off on this topic.):-}

I am aware that there are two different heat shields being used, but
neither that I am aware of was a covered soft foam. Which of the two that
you have seen was thicker (original or replacement)? Some of the early
bikes had a thicker quilted shield which was aluminum on top of a
fiberglass pad and was around 8-9mm thick. The newer bikes have a thin foil
and adhesive shield that is only about 1-2 mm thick. If you order a
replacement shield right now, you should only receive the newer (not
quilted) thin shield.

Do you have something different?

- - Eric