Re: RE: Heat Shield

I believe that it made contact with the sharp weld at the collector and burned through by combination of chaffing and direct contact heat.  About 4 to 6 inches by about an inch to an inch and a half of the chicken-scat adhesive was either burned completely or brown, like toast in the morning!  As far as getting the shield to form to the curvature, several long triangular cuts will need to be made.   I tried it with the old shield and cemented (bad idea) it to the fairing.  I also cut a piece off of the forward end of the shield to cover the critical area which burnt through.  It fit quite well, although the high temperature cement did not stick to the fairing well and the whole thing started coming off.  Now I have the old heat shield with a bunch of cuts in it with cement stuck to it.  I would definately advise to make several cuts in the new piece so that it fits the curves, but it also provides more edge area at which water and crap could penetrate.  I would like to get a piece of "thin" shielding material without the chicken-scat adhesive, and take my time cutting the little long triangles out of it to make it fit perfectly with no overlapping material and use a quality epoxy after roughing up the surface of the fairing so it will stick.

>>> Eric Sheley <eric@xxxxxxxxxx> 09/23 1:32 PM >>>

Do you know if it burned off just being close to the header or did it come
off far enough to make contact?...........

......When installed, I noticed the same "bubbling" in a
couple of spots where the curvature of the fairing is too great for the
shielding to "seat" down and fill all the pockets.