Oil Usage/Gas Mileage/Battery

GAS MILEAGE:
Well, on our 4,000+ mile trip we got varying gas mileage.  There was one
tank where we got around 30 mph and one tank where the STs got close to
60 mpg!  Generally, the STs hovered around 50 mpg, with a few drops
closer to 40 mpg.  We did discover that my ST gets better gas mileage
than Richard's.

OIL USAGE:
Richard's ST didn't use any oil on this trip.  Mine used 1 quart :-((!!
I'm really glad I packed the oil!  Do any of you change oil in between
the reccommended service intervals?  My ST now has right around 11,600
on it and will be going in for its 12,000 mile service this week.  I'll
let the list know how the valve adjustment goes.

BATTERY
As most of you know, I replaced my battery on the way to the ST Rallye
when it died on my way out of town.  I was around 25-30 miles from the
dealer and it would have been a pain for me (& them as it was around
closing time) for me to have them replace it.  Well, guess what.  After
we had the bikes packed, Richard's bike wouldn't start.  We tried
charging the battery and got nothing.  We loaded her up and took her to
the dealer, and after a few cranks, she started.  #&(**@&  Well, we were
off to San Antonio.  The next day we rode to Roswell (536 miles).  The
day after that, we load up and were ready to leave for Taos, and
Richard's bike wouldn't start.  He got lucky and bumped started her and
road to Walmart for a battery (Sunday morning!!).  His battery died at
around 5,000 miles, and mine had around 5,800 miles on it!  I believe we
will be talking to our dealer about having Triumph reimburse us on BOTH
of these!!  I was going to let one ride . . . .

Lisa