dead batteries

Guys,

I'm relieved (without gloating) to hear that other people's
batteries have let them down. Thought I was doing something
wrong.
But are you SURE they are really dead, not just completely
discharged? Did you dry cable-starting the bike and then letting
the bike recharge it? I don't think mine gave me any problem
with recharging the battery as I went along, but I have had a
completely flat battery twice now, each time on trying to start
her up in the morning, possibly after a night of rain, but
that's really tenuous because in the past fortnight here in
London it's been constant rain and the morning after I've had no
problems starting her up, so it's really not that consistent.
What worries me is that I don't know what caused this thing to
happen twice already, so I now carry a cheap set of
cable-starters with me in the panniers or rucksack. Maybe it
seems over the top, but jump-starting the bike is hard on a
motorway or unless you have a hill to rely on and a lot of cars
don't carry their own sets!

Tim