Re: Batt problem consensus

At 12:33 AM 09/28/1999 -0400, KenTmpsnmc@xxxxxxx wrote:
 >6 months.  Frankly if this is what I can expect I'll go back to a non-sealed
 >unit.  Or... are we saying that all T-5's discharge batteries at an alarming
 >rate while off.  Should we just leave them on the battery tender while off?

Ken, I never had a problem with my battery on my T509. It was truly a
second bike (as I still had the 96 Sprint at the time) and accordingly it
would sometimes go two to three weeks without being started. It had the
Triumph Alarm installed and activated, yet I never had a problem where the
battery failed to start the bike. The current owner still has the stock
battery and has not had any problems.

The service manager at my shop installed a new sealed Yuasa in my ST (again
only because it showed corrosion - not for a starting problem) and the only
thing he did mention was that it was built in a different country than the
stock battery. I seem to remember a similar thread on the T5 list, where
the country of origin on the battery determined the percentage of failures.
I think this is more likely the cause of any problems (quality issue)
versus any inherent problem with the amount of power a T5 series electrical
system draws at rest.

- - Eric