So y'all just had to talk about batteries

Yesterday I went out to the stable, where I keep my beloved reliable red steed, only to find out that she was sick.  Her battery was down!  I have no electrical additions that may have caused this.  I am certain that the parking lamp was not to blame, as this was the only time that I have left her ignition switch in the "kill engine" position, instead of the usual "fork lock" position, and the "emergency kill" on the handlebar was in the on position.  She was last run on Sunday without sign of a dying battery.  Are these batteries just crap or what?  Did leaving the ignition switch in this position cause this?  It shouldn't, but it did!  People in Hell should get ice water, but they don't!  The ignition switch position was the only thing I did different when putting her up on Sunday.  Any parallels here with other listers experiencing the dead battery syndrome?  This kind of sucks, as I am planning a trip for the weekend, and really do not know if I can trust her, especially if she cannot be push started.  I managed to give the thing a 50 amp kick in the ass to get her started, and rode around for a little while.  The "check engine" idiot light with the picture that resembles a car engine remained on.  I hope this thing was on due to poor voltage levels.  I have the thing on trickle charge now, but am not sure what to do.  What do dealers say about this when brought in for warrantee?  I figure if the battery is to blame, I might as well just buy a new one out of pocket to avoid the hassle of taking the bike in.  Any  opinions here?  I don't know if the battery will hold a charge yet.