Re: So y'all just had to talk about batteries

Sorry ......

At 08:21 AM 09/29/1999 -0500, David Arnett wrote:
 >parking lamp was not to blame, as this was the only time that I have left
 >her ignition switch in the "kill engine" position, instead of the usual
 >"fork lock" position, and the "emergency kill" on the handlebar was in the

I normally leave my switch in the off (or kill engine) position with the
emergency kill activated (or on). I have not had it discharge in this position.

 >the thing a 50 amp kick in the ass to get her started, and rode around for a
 >little while.  The "check engine" idiot light with the picture that
 >resembles a car engine remained on.  I hope this thing was on due to poor
 >voltage levels.

me too - the manual makes the point in several places that jump starting
runs the risk of damage to the ECM. I don't have the service manual in
front of me and I can't remember if there is a "Low Voltage" on the MIL or
not. I am sure there is one for charging problems however. Fault codes are
stored in the ECM and the light stays on for a few cycles (of on - off
use). Your dealer can read the code via the "gameboy". Was it running rough
or did it seem fine?

 >  I have the thing on trickle charge now, but am not sure
 >what to do.  What do dealers say about this when brought in for warrantee?
 >I figure if the battery is to blame, I might as well just buy a new one out
 >of pocket to avoid the hassle of taking the bike in.  Any  opinions here?  I
 >don't know if the battery will hold a charge yet.

If you have a crap battery, warranty should cover - why pay for that ? I
would hope the dealer has some in stock, so at worst it should be a matter
of waiting a few minutes for the swap out.

- - Eric