From: Ken Haylock [mailto:KHaylock@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 1999 10:24 AM
To: 'ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: RE: Joining the dreaded list ...

Sorry old chap, but I'm afraid you may be knackered - overtaking through a
/green/ pelican crossing should be OK - if it was flashing amber you would
be in the wrong and even done for 'without due care'. But overtaking through
a junction? Nope - it'll be mostly down to you I'm afraid. He'll simply say
that you started the overtake after he had started to pull out, he stopped
but you fell off then slid into him. Even if you didn't, overtaking through
a junction is dodgy full stop - so many things can go wrong, from the
vehicle you are passing turning right [left for 'merkins] and taking you
out, through stuff coming out the side-road without looking for you coming
up the wrong side of the road straight at them. And since IIRC the highway
code also says it's a bad idea, if it goes to court it'll hurt your case big
time. Rightly or wrongly, the implication will also be that since you were
doing an overtake, you were going too fast for the conditions and fell off
all on your own when you didn't have to. Alternatively, perhaps the fact
that you slid virtually to a halt before you hit the taxi will be evidence
that you could have stopped in plenty of time before hitting him. Since this
is a black cab driver, and they tend to get believed, methinks that if you
get this one down as knock for knock you'll have had a result!