Re: Junk in the text??

"Soosalu, Grant" <soosalug@xxxxxxx> said:

> Hope no one is offended by me posting this, but for those of us using
> Outlook (and I agree Bill has a lot to answer for :-) , if  you reply under
> the quote as suggested by Mike below, then we have to open every email and
> scroll down to get the gist of the message and decide whether we want to
> read it.

You shouldn't have to scroll down, if the person replying has quoted
just sufficient to post in context. Of course, the quoted text itself
could give a clue as to what the nature of the exchange is.

> So from my
> perspective and I would assume the perspective of other Outlook users, it
> would be great if people would put their post at the top and the cut/paste
> of the message thread they are responding to at the bottom.

So they won't snip, and there won't be any context for the reply.
You've quoted my entire message below, including my sig, and for no
real purpose. Where a reply is quoted and each quoted part replied to
appropriately, it cuts down the size of the reply, and there's no need
to go down to the bottom of the message first to see what the reply is
about.

It also happens to be a convention which used to be followed all the
time on newsgroups. Nowadays, you find posters to the more readable
newsgroups still use this convention, and newsgroups filled with
gibbering idiots are also filled with upside-down quoting.

> When you get over 100 emails a day from this and other lists,
> not to mention the work based emails, it is helpful to have a way of
> scanning through and filtering the info.

I'm getting quite tempted to put anyone who replies upside-down into
the 'clueless newbie' filter. colon hyphen right-bracket.

- --
Mike Fleming