Re: Coolant loss problem

Oil churning with water yields a milky appearance, which you would definately notice in the sight glass.  After time, it should separate, oil on top.  50/50 coolant to water will for certain have a different specific gravity than just plain water, but I doubt that it would become lighter than the lube oil used in our machines.  When you check the coolant mix with a hydrometer, the hydrometer will tell you your mix by reading the specific gravity of the fluid being tested.

"Retherford, Martin" <MRetherford@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:

> If the oil is
> taking the coolant you should notice a definite change in the feel of the
> oil a little bit after shut off as the coolant will be real foamed up in the
> oil.  If you wait too long after shut down the oil and coolant will separate
> and I don't remember which of the two goes on top.

Oil floats on water (Torrey Canyon, Brear, Exxon Valdez...). However,
when oil and water are emulsified together as well as they will be by
a churning engine, I don't think they do separate out.

- --
Mike Fleming

End of st-digest V1999 #243