Re: Gloves

At 08:10 PM 3/30/00 -0600, mchead wrote:
>I was wondering what everyones thoughts on gloves are. I am thinking about a
>pair of Held gloves. Any experience?

Robert, I have a pair of 2265's that I swear by. Helimot is the supplier
for the US and would probably have the best selection. When ordering, they
will have you fax an outline of your hand to make the sizing determination.
Speak with Baird = 408.298.9608 fx 408.271.3955 email helimot@xxxxxxx

The 2265 is advertised as the greatest warm weather glove around and I
would have to agree. I actually am able to use them in Florida year round
with the heated grips. For really cold weather riding I use the HG split
finger mit which looks like a heavy duty mitten, split down the middle, so
you have 2 fingers in each pocket.

But, back to the 2265. Most of the back of the hand is covered with a
combination of kevlar and lycra including the thumb and wrist area. Under
this is a layer of foam to add protection in a crash situation (or in a bar
room brawl....) The underside is all Kangaroo hide - supposedly far
superior to cow hide in strength - it is sure a lot more supple. The bottom
of the palm has a rivet patch to protect if you put your hand down, but
unlike cheaper gloves, the patch is then covered with foam and kevlar to
keep the rivets from burning your hands. The stitching is such that you
don't get any rubbing on the fingers. The gloves come with a natural curve
to them (fingers slightly dropped). Break in takes a while - about 1000
miles or so to get them really comfortable (I just wore them while driving
the truck back and forth to work).

The left glove even has a thin layer of rubber built in to act as a
squeegee..... Pretty slick.

The only complaint I have are that the fingers are a little long, but I
would rather have too much than not enough.

Also some may have a problem adjusting to the thinness of the kangaroo hide
- - I was worried that it would not give my hands enough protection, but I
have not have a bit of trouble with them.

>Also was curious what everyones experience was with waterproof gloves that
>also offer protection.

My experience has been that they are usually very warm My HG are water
resistant and are reserved for the coldest of days. I also used to use
mitts that could be slid over the gloves but found it very fatiguing on the
hands as the gloves would be sliding around in the mitts. I now just use
the 2265's without anything - after a good rain they usually dry very quickly.

If you have any particular questions, let me know

- - Eric