Re Top Box

Can anyone give me any info regarding the top box and its effect on
aerodynamics. I am heading off for a solo 10,000 kilometre  jaunt in a
couple of weeks, and have the factory three box set up, together with a tank
bag.

I am considering using just the side panniers and a soft bag (Ventura) which
sits on the pillion seat, rather than the factory top box. Only because the
top box is heavy and sits up there in the breeze when one up. I wonder what
it is like loaded up in a crosswinds, and wont have a chance to find out
prior to leaving.

If anyone can help with experience, please do.

Simon Line
Perth WA