Gen-Mar Risers

       I'd been having problems with sore wrists on longer ( more than
200 miles or so ) trips, and since last I checked Heli doesn't make
bars, I ordered a set of Gen-Mar (www.zianet.com/genmar/) risers.
~145 bucks for a set of nicely machined blocks that bolt underneath
the oem handle-bars to raise them about 1.5 inches and back about the
same (exact numbers available on their website).

      The kit comes with two machines blocks, a longer-than-stock
front brake line, 4 bolts and some instructions taken directly from
their web-site.

      Installation took about an hour, including swapping my too short
stock front brake line out for the replacement that came with the kit,
and bleeding the front brakes.  The left handlebar swapped out with no
changes, just unbolt, place the riser beneath the base, and bolt on
with the new bolts.

      The right side was a little trickier.  I replaced the brake line
first.  The line that comes with the kit has swivel tips.  Make sure
that you get the caliper end aligned nicely (the bent end of the new
line) and snug before adjusting the top so that the ring sits flat on
the lever cylinder.

      Bleed the brakes, and fire it up!

      I haven't had any long rides yet really test them out, but
around town, that little difference makes a big impact in how I rest
my weight on the bike.  My wrists are already much happier in shorter
(20-30 mile) mile rides than before.

       If I go for a long ride and they still suck, I'll be sure to
alert you, but so far they seem like a big improvement!

- --
- -jong