RE: David's SUV Encounter of the Close Kind.

Dearly Beloved,

This note is in no way intended to single out the Rude One, because there is
no malice in what he wrote and he rightly states the fear of cages we all
share.  Equally, I wouldn't browbeat anyone with an honest opinion about
SUVs.  They are scary-big and can enhance a high pucker factor experience in
a negative way (sorry, David).  But an SUV is no more at fault than a gun,
knife, bottle of arsenic, outboard motor, electrical appliance, or rope used
in a threatening manner.  Responsibility resides with the operator - first,
last, and always.  As an operator, I have been on two wheels (1964) longer
than four (1969).  I prefer trucks to cars for many reasons, not the least
of which is the "apparent" margin of safety they provide.  Others have come
to share this belief, even though they have no real need for the more
utilitarian functions of a truck.  Nowadays some of the best-selling
vehicles around are SUVs.  It has become politically correct to dump on SUVs
and their owners because they are expensive to buy and operate, indicate the
economic success of the owner, and are perceived to be a display of
environmental irresponsibility.  As with all less than honest opinions, none
of this is exactly true.

Of the three vehicles in my family, none are cars.  One is an old Suburban
(try hauling three college/high school-aged sons, their gear, and a Saint
Bernard in a Saturn), the second is a Tracker, and the third is the lovely
and charming Boudicca.  While driving a truck, I have never hit, crowded,
threatened, surprised, tailgated, cut off, or otherwise mistreated a fellow
motorcyclist.  In fact, I try to show these same courtesies to other cagers.
My SUVs aren't part of the problem.  The Washington, DC metropolitan area in
which I live is one of the most traffic-choked parts of the country.  SUVs
are thick around here.  I HAVE BEEN hit, crowded, threatened, surprised,
tailgated, cut off, and otherwise mistreated by women driving
NonDescriptCrappyLittleSedans.  I chalk it up to the vagaries of fate and
the demographics of the places I ride through, rather than blaming females
or economy cars.  An irresponsible operator is one who drives while eating,
talking, telephoning, farding (sic), reading, disciplining children, or
playing music at a deafening volume to the point of failing to use mirrors,
turn signals, proper attention, or common sense.  An idiot in a Neon can
kill you as dead as an idiot in an Excursion.  Political Correctness, or any
other anti-intellectual point of view, has nothing to do with it.

If you are traveling the highways and byways around the nation's capital and
happen to see a well-used GMC Suburban with a twisted rear bumper (thanks to
a woman in a
NonDescriptCrappyLittleSedan), approach it without fear.  The driver would
gladly sacrifice that faithful old lump to save you, if the opportunity ever
arose.

Crash