Re: New post and potential buyer

Todd,

You're asking the wrong group --- no one here is going to tell you to get
anything else but the Sprint.

I spent two weeks riding the twisties on a K1200RS --- too long, too heavy,
and only good for Autobahn blasting (its a beautiful machine, but I don't
think even BMW knows why they built it).   The Ducati is not nearly as
refined as the ST, and the R1100RT, while a good bike, doesn't compare with
low end torque and smooth power delivery throughout.

I'm 6'0'' and have had no problems with long distance riding.  As a matter
of fact, many of the ST owners have added Gen Mar risers to their bars to
make the bike a little more touring friendly.   With the stock screen in
place the smooth air pressure against my chest at speed (cruising for hours
at 80-100 mph) is just perfect; no pressure on my wrists, no need for me to
have the Gen Mars,  and the leg room is decent.   Most people on the list
rave about the optional luggage---- I seem to be in the minority of those
who don't have it.  I love the clean look of the upset aftermarket race can
and hate the look of the cumbersome hardware staring at you if you take the
bags off (also with bag mounting, the exhaust has to be rotated
down----ruins the lines of the bike when the bags are off).  I am perfectly
happy with a good set of Chase Harper soft luggage for long distance hauls.
True, the carrying capacity doesn't match the Triumph bags, but I've learned
to pack light and have never had a problem.

None of the other bikes you're considering are as versatile as the ST.   Its
a great canyon carver, pulls like a freight train and will do long distance
jaunts without a hiccup.     If I remember correctly, it also seems to have
come out on top of most comparison articles with several of the bikes you
have listed.

So there you have it.   A no brainer, get the ST.

Lance "Dawgmanaut" La Certe,   Denver, CO    '99 Red ST