Re: Strange Occurrence

I've had this happen exactly twice since I got my '99 Sprint about a month
and a half ago, and it was just as you described.

The first time it happened to me I had just re-started the bike after having
stopped for a quick lunch.  It started up fine but it didn't quite sound
right to me either.  Then a few seconds later it died.  Without turning off
the key, I hit the starter and she fired right up again but the symptom was
still there.  It wouldn't run at less than about 1000 rpm.  Thinking I was
about to get standed I hopped on the bike and actually rode it all the way
home.  I just had to make sure I kept the rev's up.  When I got home (about
a 5 minute drive), it still would not idle.  Once again I tried re-starting
without turning off the key -- same problem.  Then I decided to actually
turn off the key and let it sit for a few minutes.  When I fired it up again
the problem disappeared.  I reported the problem to my dealer and they had
never heard such symptoms.  The problem surfaced once more within the next
week, but this time I decided to immediately turn off the key and try again
(I didn't wait either).  The problem disappeared again.  When I took the
bike in for its first service a week or so later, they also checked the
computer and found no faults.

My conclusion thus far is that something (maybe the computer itself) needed
a reset that only the power off/on sequence provided.  Next time this
trouble happens, see if you can cure it by doing this and report back to the
group.

As I'm new to the group myself, I hadn't heard that anyone else had reported
this problem.  If they did, and can shed further light on this, I'm all
ears!

One other thing -- I noticed that your bike is also a '99.  We shouldn't
overlook the fact that the computer was changed for '00, so it would be
interesting to hear if anyone with a '00 has ever had this symptom.

Neil 'Chili Dawg' Lindsey