Track Day (long)

Yesterday I spent the day at the newly updated Virginia International
Raceway.  Several of us out of the local group I ride with rented the track
for the day and ran on the South Course.  It was a great day.

Thirty-two bikes showed and I was the only Triumph respresentative.  Most
of the others were sport bikes produced by Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki,
however there was a fair representative of Italian bikes and a couple of
BMW's.  We were divided into three groups representative of our track
experience (Advanced, Intermediate, Novice).  Group track time was 20
minutes per group.

The Advanced group consisted of some pretty seriously fast riders, at least
two of which race professionally.  They were pretty impressive.  I was in
the Intermediate group along with nearly every variation of Japanese sport
bike.

Bike preparation, at least mine, was new Bridgestone 56SS's, tightening up
the stock suspension, lowering tire pressure, disconnecting rear brake
light, taping all lights, etc.

First session was basically track familiarization.  The track is not
exceptionally fast nor long, however it is a "technical" track.  A great
deal of emphasis on turns.

Second session was much quicker than the first.  The Sprint ST was only
passed by one bike and that was under very hard late braking.  The top
indicated speed was approx. 140mph but really, I wasn't paying much
attention to the speedometer.  I did notice, however, that in the one high
speed left hander that it could be taken at nearly 100mph.

In the third session, I am proud to say, only the group instructor passed
the ST and he was on a Kawasaki ZRX1100.

Rain, wind, and much colder weather arrived at mid-afternoon.  Once the
rain reduced to a light shower 5 or 6 of a mixed group of advanced and
intermediates went out for some wet track experience.  I entered the front
stretch in 2nd, just as I had in the dry sessions, and ran it up to close
to red line in 3rd and 4th.  The first two laps I noticed rear wheel spin
under acceleration and quickly started short-shifting.

What did I learn?  Several things.  Number one is that the 56SS's, in my
opinion, are far superior to the 57's.  Number two, while I might have been
pushing my limits I don't think I really pushed the ST's.  A couple of
twitches under downshifting and hard braking.  Once, while entering a
double apex I think the rear wanted to outrun the front but this was
operator error.  And the right foot peg tab is worn 1/2 off.

Oh yeah, not a single red or blue bike passed the black ST and this was in
a group consisting of 929's and assorted other high performance sport bikes.

Rick Young
'99 Sprint ST - Black