Free play in rear wheel

If anyone gets the chance could they give their rear wheel a sideways wiggle
grasping top and bottom, turning it to different points and repeating. I can
detect a definate movement at certain points.

I have spoken with the dealer and he says that a very small amount of play
may be detected, he will have a look at it at the next service.

On my old BMW K75s I had what I considered to be a huge amount of free play
in the rear wheel. This according to the BMW dealer was "well within
recommended tolorances".

Regards, Ian