Re: Install my own luggage and rack??

> I'm going to be buying the luggage rack and 2-piece side panniers (always
> called hard luggage here in the U.S., thank you very much).
>
> I'm thinking of installing these myself, as local dealers seem to want 2-3
> hours labor to do it for me.
>
> Has anyone done this, who can advise on the difficulty, time, and/or tools
> required to do the job?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jordan Herzog
> jherzog@xxxxxxxx

If you're reasonably handy 'on the tools' and don't baulk at the thought of
drilling a few holes in the bike (albeit using the neat little cutout
templates supplied with the kit) you won't have any dramas. I fitted the lot
in a few hours and quite enjoyed the job. The supplied kit and instructions
are comprehensive - and full of quaint English-isms such as "offer up the
strengthening bracket". My dealer also supplied the pannier boxes
un-assembled and gave me $200 off! (The 2-box kit is $1700 here in
Australia - bloody highway robbery).

You'll need the usual suspects - socket set, spanners (wrenches), flat blade
screwdriver, drill set, battery (or electric) drill. And a few fine (cold!)
ales to celebrate the completion of a job well done.

Paul Bulfin.
Brisbane, Australia.
Black '99 ST.