Advice on shipping an ST?

Blake Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hey all, My original plan for moving to California was to ride my ST
> across the country.

    I like it :-)

> However, with a broken collarbone that's no longer an option.

    Bummer :-(

> I'm now faced with having a moving company move my bike. [...]

> Help! Do I really need to get a palette, or will the bike be fine
> without it?

    I've only transported race bikes, and only over relatively short
distances, but pretty much every racer I know just ties down the front
of the bike, secures the back end, and away they go.  I don't see why an
ST should be any different.

    My main areas of concern would be getting the bike into/out of a
removal van (easy enough with a little help) and having it in a van load
of other stuff.  If I were doing this myself I would most likely tie the
bike down in the back of the van and cover it up to protect it, as mover
(b) suggested.

    But if you're getting someone else to do it, an AMA-approved mover
sounds like a good step if you don't have any more personal
recommendations.

    Good luck with the move,

                Jim
- --
      jim@         ,'_             Fast on the straight bits is like slow
  gillespie.org   / -.--.    ___   on the straight bits, just with more
 '99 Sprint ST  \__/ `---'  \__/                           -- Adam Curtin