Re: Gatorade vs H20

Previously, you (Vioscaltd@xxxxxxx) wrote:
> I would like to see this research. I have read just the opposite, that all
> you body really needs is H20 which is sweatted out and that all these other
> additives are unnecessary unless you like the taste. This assumed that your
> were getting the proper nutrition eating the right meals etc.. It even
> suggested that these drinks could slow the absorption process.

Can't point you at any research, but what I was taught (First Responder
course, included extrication, packaging, intubation, etc.) was that
under normal circumstances (i.e. go to work at an office job) normal H2O
is ideal.  However under extreme circumstances, which riding in high
heat would qualify, you start sweating out essential salts (that's why
sweat tastes salty), throwing off your electrolyte balance.

I don't know how important the sugars in Gatorade and similar are except
to cover up the taste, but for what it is designed for it does a good
job.

- --
Bill "Bench Dawg" Flowers
Clearwater FL
'00 Sapphire Blue ST "Jewel"
- --
New Year's Resolution: SaddleSore 1000 (tm) or bust!
                       http://www.ironbutt.com