    From: Neil Lindsey <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
    To: Triumph Sprint ST List Members <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    Date: Saturday, April 15, 2000 2:09 PM
    Subject: Triumph Rear Hugger for ST
   =20
    Well, what should have taken about 15 minutes has turned into a bit =
of a headache!
   =20
    The hugger is fairly easy to get into position otherwise by feeding =
it in from the rear between the rear fender and the wheel, but there is =
not enough room to get the rear tip of the chain guard UNDER the brake =
line.  The brake line is routed around the rear shock and there not =
enough slack to get it over/around the chain guard. The new chain guard =
has exactly the same dimensions as the stock chain guard, which means it =
sticks out quite far beyond the rear sprocket, and the brake line is to =
be secured to the top of the guard with the original cover.  I've tried =
feeding the whole hugger assemby in from either side in front of the =
wheel, but there's even less room to manueuver.  And the more I mess =
around the more the sharp corners on the back of the new lift handle =
that is now installed along with the pannier mounting hardware gouge the =
sh%t out of the top surface of the hugger.
   =20
    If the hugger were attached to the chain guard with screws instead =
of non-removable plastic rivets there would be no problem.
   =20
    Of course the stupid Triumph mounting instructions offer no helpful =
suggestions.  There is no mention of having to remove the brake line or =
of any complication caused by the pannier install.
   =20
    Do I HAVE to remove/re-install the brake line?  I'm tempted to =
remove the rivets and replace them with nuts and bolts.
   =20
    Is there anyone out there that has done this 'simple' install?
   =20
    Neil "Chili Dawg" Lindsey
    '99 Black ST

- ------=_NextPart_000_002A_01BFA6F3.6446F9A0

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 =
Transitional//EN">
<STYLE></STYLE>

</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 face=3D"Times New Roman" =
size=3D2>Neil,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 face=3D"Times New Roman" =
size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D2>Sorry you're having so much =

trouble.&nbsp;&nbsp; Many have posted about this installation with =
multiple=20
solutions.&nbsp; Some, removed the brake line which then required =
bleeding the=20
brakes.&nbsp; I think someone just loosened and then lifted the caliper =
off the=20
rear disc and then reinstalled after slipping the hugger =
through.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D2>I'm going to try to =
remember how I did=20
this, and hope my memory is of help ---- but I had very little problem =
with the=20
installation, without removing anything.&nbsp; It may first help to just =
slip=20
off the exhaust canister to give you more lateral move.&nbsp; I will =
tell you=20
that I did not order luggage with mine, so the install was probably =
really easy=20
because I wasn't fighting the luggage hardware.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D2>Essentially, sitting at the =
rear tire,=20
I inverted the hugger with the chain guard facing in.&nbsp; Once I =
slipped it=20
upside down under the brake line I then began pivoting and rotating the =
entire=20
unit (this is where I believe that taking off the exhaust canister and =
not=20
having the luggage hardware made the difference), which then turned =
around 180=20
degrees ending right side up ready for mounting hardware.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D2>Hope that =
helps.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D2>Lance La Certe,&nbsp;&nbsp; =
Denver,=20
CO</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: =
5px">
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><B>-----Original =
Message-----</B><BR><B>From:=20
    </B>Neil Lindsey &lt;<A=20
    href=3D"mailto:neil@xxxxxxxxxxx";>neil@xxxxxxxxxxx</A>&gt;<BR><B>To:=20
    </B>Triumph Sprint ST List Members &lt;<A=20
    =
href=3D"mailto:ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx";>ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx</A>&gt;<BR><B>Date:=20
    </B>Saturday, April 15, 2000 2:09 PM<BR><B>Subject: </B>Triumph Rear =
Hugger=20
    for ST<BR><BR></DIV></FONT>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2>Well, what should have taken about 15 minutes =
has turned=20
    into a bit of a headache!</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2>The hugger is fairly easy to get into position =
otherwise=20
    by feeding it in from the rear between the rear fender and the =
wheel, but=20
    there is not enough room to get the rear tip of the chain =
guard&nbsp;UNDER=20
    the brake line.&nbsp; The brake line is routed around&nbsp;the rear =
shock=20
    and there not enough slack to get it over/around the&nbsp;chain =
guard. The=20
    new chain guard&nbsp;has exactly the same dimensions as the stock =
chain=20
    guard, which means it sticks out quite far beyond the rear sprocket, =
and the=20
    brake line is to be secured to the top of the guard with the=20
    original&nbsp;cover.&nbsp; I've tried feeding the whole hugger =
assemby in=20
    from either side in front of the wheel, but there's even less room =
to=20
    manueuver.&nbsp;&nbsp;And the more I mess around the more =
the&nbsp;sharp=20
    corners on the back of the new lift handle that is now installed =
along with=20
    the pannier mounting hardware gouge the&nbsp;sh%t out of the top =
surface of=20
    the hugger.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2>If the&nbsp;hugger were attached to the chain =
guard with=20
    screws instead of non-removable plastic rivets there would be no=20
    problem.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2>Of course the stupid Triumph mounting =
instructions offer=20
    no helpful suggestions.&nbsp; There is no mention of having to =
remove the=20
    brake line or of any complication caused by the pannier=20
install.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2>Do I HAVE to remove/re-install the brake =
line?&nbsp; I'm=20
    tempted to remove the rivets and replace them with nuts and=20
    bolts.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2>Is there anyone out there that has done this =
'simple'=20
    install?</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2>Neil &quot;Chili Dawg&quot; Lindsey</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2>'99 Black ST</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_002A_01BFA6F3.6446F9A0--