Dead Battery (continued)

After my battery died last week I decided before purchasing a new one to
check and see if it was really dead. I put it on the Battery Tender and it
charged up fine. Took the bike out for a ride and after a short stop the
battery was dead again. Bump started it to get home, put it on the charger
again, this time disconnected from the bike.

Waited until the charger went into maintain mode, checked the voltage on
the battery and it was showing charged. Without hooking it up to the bike I
left it for 24 hours and tested it again. Still Ok. Hooked it up to the
bike and again left it for 24 hours. Still Ok. It rained the last few days
so I wasn't worried about it and it sat connected to the bike with no
charger. Rode the bike today and it worked just fine.

Conclusions:

1. The battery is fine.

2. It doesn't appear I have a short that is draining the battery.

3. Something prevented the battery from normally charging, I can only think
of three reasons:

A. The terminals looked clean, but maybe there was enough corrosion to
provide too much resistance?

B. The regulator is being flaky?

C. The alternator (or generator, not sure which it has or what the
difference is) is being flaky?

None of these seem very likely to me, especially B & C since they are more
likely to fail completely rather than be sporadic.

Anyone else have a similar problem? I know there have been a few reports of
suddenly dead batteries, but I think most of them were reported to be
defective batteries.

Matt Knowles - mattknowles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.earthlink.net/~mattknowles
Aesthetic Design & Photography - (408) 977-1804
http://www.aestheticdesign.com