Re: Tyre choice for track use

Jim Gillespie wrote:

>     I'm taking the Sprint on a track day at the end of next week
> (Cadwell Park full circuit :-), and then to the Nuerburgring in July.  I
> currently have a pair of MeZ4s on the bike and I was thinking about
> getting stickier rubber fitted for track use.

Personally, I'd want to run the same rubber on the track as I do on the
street, since the only reason I'd take my street bike to a track would
be to better understand how it'll handle at the limits in the unhappy
event that I get pushed that far on the street (a/k/a accident
avoidance). Changing rubber can significantly change the way the bike
handles, and different tires have different ways of communicating how
well they're gripping (or not). I wouldn't want to expect track tire
behavior out of my street tires.

However, the Dunlop D207GP's have been favorite track tires for quite a
while and would serve well. I was very impressed with the Michelin Pilot
Race tires on the bikes at Freddie Spencer's school, and I've heard good
things about the latest Pirelli Dragon Evos, too. Don't know about the
wet handling of any of these tires, though...

Performance Bikes did a tire test almost a year ago; I typed up the
results and posted them to the list
<http://www.seaotter.com/st/1999/v1999.n091.22.html>.

HTH...

- --